A no-mixer, gluten free blueberry muffin! Comes together in seconds and just bursting with flavor!
Truth time: I spent the first 22 years of my life hating blueberries. I hated the texture and the taste. And I really hated when people ruined an otherwise delicious waffle, pancake, or muffin with stupid blueberries. Ugh. But then, wait for it…I intentionally tried a blueberry for the first time in probably 22 years. And it was delicious. Like, eat a carton a day delicious. Now I want to put them in everything, so I’m starting with the best edible vessel for just about anything: the muffin.
I intentionally made these muffins not-too-sweet and, as a bonus, used Greek yogurt to keep the muffins moist and packing a protein punch! Or at least a protein high five. That means they’re actually perfect for breakfast. And blueberries are so full of antioxidants and other good-for-you things, the muffins are practically health food!
I used frozen blueberries because I had a few bags of them in the freezer. They’re perfect for baking! They’re inexpensive and they don’t break easily, meaning they retain their color well and don’t dye the muffins totally blueberry color. Using frozen also ensures that you won’t eat all the berries before you put them in the batter. If you want to use fresh blueberries, I’m sure you can, but it will definitely mean less baking time. I’m not exactly sure what the time difference would be, but try it and let me know!
I like these served warm with some vanilla yogurt or, surprise surprise, peanut butter. But you can eat them plain as you’re running out the door to work, too!
Look at all that blueberry juiciness! Bake these immediately, you won’t regret it.
Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
Prep: 5 min Bake: 28 min Makes: 12 muffins
1 ¾ all purpose gluten free flour (I use Cup4Cup.)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg, room temp
1 cup white sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice (Keeps the flavor fresh and balances out sweetness. Can leave out if you don’t have it.)
1 ¼ cups Greek yogurt (I used vanilla Greek yogurt.)
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries (Leave in the freezer until just before you mix in the batter. This will keep the color from bleeding!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a standard muffin tin. 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the GF flour and baking powder.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg until it is well combined. Add in the white sugar and whisk together well until thick. Add the oil, vanilla, and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
4. Add in the Greek yogurt and whisk very well until fully combined. Mixture will be thick! Set aside for a moment.
5. Add the frozen blueberries into the GF flour mixture. Toss them in the flour to coat them, this will keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin.
6. Pour the yogurt mixture into the GF flour bowl. Stir until combined using spoon or spatula. Batter will be very thick.
7. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. I used a 1/4 cup cookie scoop.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are springy to the touch and edges are starting to turn golden. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack.
Muffins are best fresh, but will keep for several days in an airtight container!